Friday, August 8, 2014

How to mount a dvd on CentOS 7.0


I installed CentOS 7.0 on my laptop. Pretty sweet Linux Distro! Anyway, I had trouble reading my DVD backup.

I was about to edit /etc/fstab, but there is an easier way.

DVDs follow the Universal Disk Format (UDF) file system.

1) So what you want to do is create a cdrom directory under /mnt
2) Then try mounting with the following command:
[root@localhost dev]# mount -r -t udf /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

You'll get an output like this:

mount: /dev/sr0 is already mounted or /mnt/cdrom busy
       /dev/sr0 is already mounted on /run/media/imran/MY_DATA_061014

If you see that msg, you're ready to rock and roll. All you need to do is copy everything over to ~/Documents

cp -R /run/media/imran/MY_DATA_061014/* ~/Documents

That will recursively copy everything over.